Jersey Flag
The Channel Islands and the Great War
Guernsey Flag

Bisson, C

Le Touret  Memorial & Cemetery

Le Touret Memorial & Cemetery, Pas de Calais

Commemorated on Victoria Street Congregational Church Memorial

NEWS ITEM in Jersey Evening Post of Monday 3 May 1915

Another Jerseyman Killed in Action. Our sincere sympathy to Mr & Mrs Bisson of Le Hocq Railway Station on the death of their son, Private Bisson. When war broke out Private Bisson was in garrison at Malta and, with his Battalion, came to the fighting line in France and Flanders. His parents heard fairly regularly from him until the middle of March when his letters ceased and they have since been unable to ascertain his whereabouts. They communicated with a comrade of his in the Devons, which regiment formed part of the brigade to which he was attached, and yesterday received a letter stating that their son had been mortally wounded during the fighting on 11 March, though up to the present they have not received any notification of his death from the War Office.



Charles Bisson

Lance Corporal Charles Bisson
2nd Battalion. West Yorkshire Regiment

1914-15 Star

Son of Station Master Charles & Mrs Sarah J Bisson of Le Hocq Railway Station, Jersey. Enlisted August 1907

Killed in action, aged 26 years


NEWS ITEM in Jersey Evening Post of Tuesday 4 May 1915

A Victim of Neuve Chapelle. In yesterdays issue we announced the death of the son of Station Master & Mrs Bisson of Le Hocq, and we now learn that it was at Neuve Chapelle that he was mortally wounded and that he was a Lance Corporal in the 2nd West Yorks (Prince of Wales Own). He had been in garrison at Malta for 4 years, the last year of which he served with the International Police Force at Scutari. His term of service had practically expired when war broke out and he was expected home. Lance Corporal C Bisson was in France since the end of October and the last his parents heard from him was in February last when he came out of hospital. All letters to him since then have been returned. His parents received a letter on Sunday from his Company Officer stating that he had been mortally wounded on 11 March and the reason why his death had not been notified the parents was that he had been thought to be in hospital. May we again express to the sorrowing family our sincere sympathy in their bereavement.


Commonwealth War Graves Commission Record