Jersey Flag
The Channel Islands and the Great War
Guernsey Flag

Carter, A H

Melcombe Regis Cemetery, Dorset.

Melcombe Regis Cemetery, Dorset

Son of Mrs. Clara Carter and Sergeant Alfred Denzil Carter, of 4, Prospect Cottages, Haimance Place, Ann St., St. Helier, Jersey.

Accidently killed at Wyke Regis, aged 18 years

NEWS ITEM in Jersey Evening Post of Monday 30 April 1917

Young Jersey Soldier's Sad Death - Killed on Weymouth Rifle Range. Mrs Carter of 4 Prospect Cottages, Haimance Place, Ann Street, was shocked on Saturday to receive a telegram from the Officer Commanding the 3rd Dorsets conveying the tragic news that her son, Private A H Carter of the Dorset Regiment, who was in training in England had been accidentally killed on the rifle range at Wyke Regis near Weymouth this morning. Needless to say the bereaved mother is heartbroken by the news for the lad, who was in his 18th year, had only been in the Army a very short time. He was the son of Pioneer Sergeant Carter, now serving in India, and had for a long time been keen on following in his father's footsteps and serving his King and Country, so that his mother consented to his enlistment at an early age. Letters received recently stated his section was engaged on a musketry course, Saturday being the last day for firing. No details are to hand as to how the young lad met his death. We feel sure the sympathy of all our readers will be extended to the mother.



Alfred Henry Carter

Private Alfred Henry Carter
3rd Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment

NEWS ITEM in Jersey Evening Post of Wednesday 2 May 1917

The Death of Private A H Carter. An official enquiry was held on Monday at the Guildhall in Weymouth into the circumstances attending the death of Private Alfred Henry Carter which, as reported in our columns, occurred on Saturday last at the rifle range in Wyke Regis. According to the evidence a party of men were on the range using an old pattern rifle for field practice, one of the men had the 1914 rifle with instructions that it was not to be used for shooting. A soldier named Hillyard borrowed it to test the rifle and five cartridges were inserted, he shot three and when he pulled the bolt two live cartridges were ejected, the bolt jammed and he took the rifle to Lance Corporal Travis. Travis did not know the rifle had been used for firing or that a live cartridge had stuck in the bore, he forced the bolt home and automatically pulled the trigger. The force he used pulled the muzzle down and the jammed cartridge killed Carter, who was amid a group of soldiers a yard away. The medical evidence showed that the bullet entered the arm, went into the side and penetrated the liver, death being due to haemorrhage. In the course of the enquiry it was stated that it was against the regulations for a man to change his rifle with another man. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death adding that no blame was attached to anyone. They expressed their sympathy with the relatives.